Cottage Garden

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Growing up my brothers and I did a lot of gardening with our mom, our neighbor was also a gardener and had a beautiful yard that she would let us explore.  I have always loved gardens and being outside, from the time I was little some of my favorite memories were spent at Magnolia Plantation and Gardens in Charleston. I can smell it just thinking about it! 
My husband and I have been married for just over 5 years now, since being married we've lived in different rentals until now. Because of this I have really gotten out of the habit of yard work and gardening, it has definitely been taking some relearning. One thing that I love about our new home is how many gardens it has, we have six total. When we moved it there was a really good start to the gardens but they were in need of some TLC. Every weekend we try to go out and buy at least one new plant to add to the front gardens. My favorite garden style would definitely be a cottage or english garden. Filled with an assortment of beautiful perennials and fragrant herbs! Think Tasha Tudor, she is my inspiration. It's really been fun because I don't have to think about it much, if I fall in love with something I just add it to my garden. 
For my herbs I love having them close to my kitchen since I use them in my daily cooking. We have a cozy little side porch right off the kitchen when I decided to put an entry table with my potted herbs on. I also plan to plant some herbs in the front and back gardens as well since some of them do a really wonderful job of keeping the wasps away from the flowers. Here are a few pictures of what we currently have going on. There is still a lot of work to be done but i am loving it. Flowers make me happy. We will be laying some fresh mulch down this coming week, I'll be sure to post before and after pictures of that. Happy gardening! 
The kids helped me pot the herbs for the porch today. Two of the herbs our neighbor gave us! 

My mother in law gave me this potted rosemary!

Today we planted hydrangeas. They're on the pricey side but Kmart has these beautiful ones for a good deal.  

Knockout roses, beautiful and easy to care for. 



1 comment: